You are here: Home › Buy Microsoft Word
Are you wondering how to buy Microsoft Word 2013? Or an Office 2013 suite? How do you know which version is right for you?
Get answers and download links here! This article covers system requirements, how to choose between different versions, if you should buy a Microsoft Office suite instead, and links so you can buy software for immediate download.
The latest version of the Microsoft word processing software is Word 2013 (or Word 2011 if you use a Mac). You can still find Word 2010 online, but I highly recommend purchasing the latest version instead of buying outdated software.
Word 2013 includes great new features over Word 2007 such as versioning, a screenshot tool, document recovery, online collaboration, and more. The ribbon has been reworked to include a file tab instead of the office button. So it is well worth buying the newest version if you are still hanging on to Word 2007.
Let's face it...if you are still using Windows 98 on an old computer, you might as well stop reading. Go out and buy a computer first! You will not be able to run Microsoft Office 2013 software programs on your old system.
Make sure your current or any new system you buy meets the system requirements. If your computer specs barely meet the minimum requirements, you can still install the software, but performance and availability of some features may be affected.
Note: You currently cannot
install and run Microsoft Office on
Here are the minimum system requirements for Microsoft Word 2013 for PC and Office 2011 for Mac:
Mac (Office 2011):
Once you are sure the software will run on your computer, how do you decide which version is right for you?
The choice isn't as confusing as it used to be...Microsoft eliminated the upgrade versions. But be ready to pay more to upgrade than you did before, although Microsoft has reduced the prices somewhat from when 2010 was first released.
Use the following guidelines to help you decide which version to buy.
Affiliate Disclaimer: When you buy software after clicking a link on Sue's Word Tips, I may receive a commission. You do not pay extra for the software. Thanks…I appreciate your support!
• Word 2013 - This is the stand-alone version of the latest version of Microsoft Word. If you only need word processing software, it is much cheaper to buy Word by itself instead of buying an Office suite. Get an instant download or have a disc shipped to you. [Microsoft Store] [Amazon]
• Microsoft Office 2013 - If you use Word and any additional office programs such as OneNote, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, or Access it is more cost effective to buy an Office 2013 suite than to purchase two stand-alone programs. Not only do you save money, but you get additional programs, too. Additional programs depend on which of the three suites you buy, Home & Student, Home & Office, or Professional. [Microsoft Store ] [Amazon]
• Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium - This is the subscription version of Microsoft Office. The Home Premium suite includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook. 1 year subscription for 5 PCs or Macs or mobile devices for one user. [Microsoft Store ] [Amazon]
• Microsoft Office 365 Small Business Premium - If you run your own business, this is the version for you. Use on 5 PCs, Macs, or mobile devices for a single user. Includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access plus cloud services. 1 year subscription. [Microsoft Store ] [Amazon]
• Microsoft Office 365 University - Are you in college? You can buy a 4-year subscription to Microsoft Office 365 for just $79.99. Includes version upgrades. But there is a catch…it is for full-time university students and faculty only. Verification of your student or teaching status is required. [Microsoft Store] [Amazon]
• Product Key Card - If you want to save money, you can buy a software license key card. Buyer Beware: the key card can be used on ONE COMPUTER ONLY. If you buy a new computer, you will have to purchase a new key card. Are you are used to installing Word on both your desktop and laptop? You will have to buy two key cards. [Shop for key cards at Amazon]
• Office 2011 for Mac - The newest Office software for Mac is still version 2011. (f you want Office 2013, buy an Office 365 subscription which works for PC or Mac.) It comes in two versions, Home and Student (non-commercial use only) or Professional. [Microsoft Store ] [Amazon]
Be sure to bookmark this site (CTRL + D) so you can refer to it when you need help.
Return from Buy Microsoft Word to Sue's Word Tips Home