To keep Word 2007 operating smoothly, regularly run Microsoft Word update.
Critical updates usually include security patches and bug fixes for Microsoft Word, so it is important to check for them often.
Because Word is part of Office 2007, Word patches are included in Microsoft Office updates.
If Automatic Update is turned on, your computer will automatically download and install the Microsoft Word update for you…you won’t have to remember to do it yourself every month.
Because it sometimes causes slow performance, some users prefer to turn off automatic security updates, then download and install Microsoft Office updates at their own convenience.
If you turn off automatic update, make sure you manually download Microsoft Office Updates on a regular schedule.
If you do not want automatic security updates for Microsoft Office, you can manually update your software through the Word Options tool. You should manually update each month, preferably within a few days of “Patch Tuesday” (2nd Tuesday of the month).
To manually update Microsoft Office, follow these steps:
- Make sure your internet connection is active.
- Click the Office Button.
- Click Word Options.
- On the left navigation menu, select Resources.
- Click Check for Updates.
- An Internet Explorer browser window will open and load the Microsoft Office online update page.
- Click Express to receive all critical updates, or Custom to choose from a directory of optional and high-priority updates.
- Always carefully follow the instructions for installing updates and restarting your computer.
“Security updates”. Microsoft. February 10, 2009. http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/bulletins/default.mspx. Retrieved on 02-10-2009.